Saturday, August 23, 2014

Lazy Girl, Episode 13

From Paper Dolls to
Living Dolls
The second day of our Carla Fernández workshop at the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum dawned, and with some trepidation, I wondered how I would do realizing my paper doll designs. But first, we were to be treated to a tour of the Museum by Textiles' Conservator, Tess Fredette. Walking through the Museum, Tess explained Isabella Stewart Gardner's decorating idiosyncrasies as we eyed walls covered by tapestries and damasks, paintings and objects. It was fascinating to hear about conservation techniques and to learn of Mrs. Gardner's particular ideas, like the way she liked to "plop" drapes on a window seat rather than let them hang free.
Left, Meegan, wearing a skirt of her own design,
made from the selvedge edges of fabric
and Carla, explain the Mexican method of
measuring with fingers and palms.
A seam would be two fingers.
Carlos, a fashion designer,
begins sewing a piece.
 Carlos models his top.

Kat's dress takes shape.
I sew a red facing on my dress by hand.
 Cailin models her skirt...
which can also be a cape.
 Carlos models a red skirt.
The ambitious dress!
In the background, Jay Calderin, the head of Boston's
fashion week, helps with sewing.

And Ta Da!
 Me in my dress and beads of my own design,
 and Carla's "chocolate whisk" bracelets.
Photos by Jeanne Markel
I need to add the decorative motifs,
and it needs a good pressing,
but here is my dress.
Fern likes it too.

I would like to thank Carla Fernández and
Pieranna Cavalchini, curator of Contemporary Art
at the Gardner, for this
memorable experience.

À Bientôt!




2 comments:

  1. Admirable and enviable!
    Martha in Kentucky

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great! Love the colors you chose.

    ReplyDelete