Thursday, July 9, 2020

A New Season of Lazy Girl Starts Today!

Hydrangea Town
My oh my how long has it been since the last episode of Lazy Girl? Much too long to count. But today it's back, same theme song, same Lazy Girl. I am on the North Fork of Long Island, my go-to summer place. My brother, David, found a cute, little house for me to rent, quite by chance. There is absolutely nothing to rent out here because New Yorkers have left the city in droves for parts where the rabbits roam and the deer and the mosquitoes play.

I am thrilled to be here and to be with family after months of isolation. Adding to my joy at being in the country is my new bike, which I ordered from REI online and had shipped to my sister Jeanne's house here in Orient. Her husband was kind enough to put it together for me. And what a ride. This is the Electra Townie 7 speed in "Curry." It has pink tire rims. The rattan basket is from Trek.  It's a step-through style bike originally designed for ladies of the 1890's to ride with their long skirts. (I made that up.) I love it's graceful curves.
Curry in a Hurry
 There is an embarrassment of riches in this town.
The Hydrangea macrophylla are in full bloom and glory.
 The name Hydrangea is from the Greek and means
water vessel because of the shape of the seed capsule.
 The common name of this shrub is Hortensia, a Latinized version 
of the French name, Hortense. Are you expecting a
girl baby? Name her Hortense.
 Hydrangea can be blue, violet or pink
depending on the soil pH. If the soil is acidic,
the flowers will be blue. If alkaline, they will be pink.
The Orient Country Store is open, but you
cannot go in. Window service only with
appropriate masks and physical spacing.

A Bientot!




No comments:

Post a Comment