Thursday, September 10, 2020

Lazy Girl: Episode 5

 Paint Box Summer

In July I rented a house on the East End of Long Island. It was a small cottage on a quiet road where I could ride my bike every day. To keep myself busy for the other daylight hours, I created my notecard project. Before I left New York, I ordered Strathmore Writing notecards and Daniel Smith Extra Fine Watercolors and tucked them in my suitcase. 

In my cottage I set up a studio in a room with large windows overlooking the backyard. There were trees, a bird bath and many Robins, Goldfinches and sometimes a Painted Bunting. 

I found an old card table in the closet and set it up in my studio. 

My first design was inspired by the abundant Hydrangea in the village. I found an orange vase and put it on a coffee table in the living room. 


There is a field of Milkweed in Orient next to the Monarch Butterfly waystation. This is where the Milkweed Girl resides.


I walked upon the beach collecting Scallop Shells and voilà, The Scallop Princess.
"Your Royal Highness, the Prime Minister is here to see you."
The Princess replied, "Show him in." 
Prime Minister Seaweed bowed. "May I say your gown is lovely? Is it Dior?"

Before the Pandemic, my neighbor, Renata, and I went to Blair, an exquisite nail salon on the Lower East Side. When  restraints were lifted, and the salon opened again in July, Renata went back. I sent her this card. Her dog Paolo rests on the floor.


Is there anything more perfect than a light and loose-fitting caftan in a yummy color and pattern? Direct from Morocco I bring you, "The Caftans of Summer."


Haiku
Wild rose by the sea
Beckons to me as I pass -
Love song of summer.

Tropical Storm Fay came sneaking up the coast. We battened down the shutters and put the garden chairs in the shed. The Goldfinches and Red-winged Blackbirds hid in the bushes and when the winds came,  the girl floated out over the bay.

Lazy Girl Hand Painted Cotton Poplin Dresses.

Free shipping by Osprey Express. Order yours today.💙💜

There's something fishy about the fish hat, on that we can agree.

So take a dive in the sea and return it to its habitat.

(Faux poem by Emily Dickinson.)

The Summer Wind came blowin' in across the sea. 

It lingered there to touch your hair and walk with me.

Lyrics by Johnny Mercer 


Custom Stamps feature artist Richard Cramer.
I used these on my envelopes.
💜

My postcard design for the Oysterponds Historical Society
 Secret Postcard Project Online Auction.

À Bientôt!








3 comments: