Sunday, February 11, 2024

A Beautiful Evening at My 80th Birthday Party

 A Magical Birthday Party. I am 80.

It was as if the guests were poured into flutes and

 fizzled up in gay camaraderie...

On a Saturday evening in January, my sister, Jeanne Markel, threw me a party for my 80th birthday. The consummate hostess, it was sublime. Guests traveled by train one hour north of Manhattan to the charming village of Katonah. There, Jeanne and her husband, Chris, live in a converted barn on a hill with a giant illuminated peace sign emblazoned under the rooftop. 

The party room was festooned with colorful crepe paper streamers, and the table alit with candles shining on vases of red tulips. Guests were greeted with flutes of bubbly. There was a frisson in the room as family mingled with friends from all corners of my life.

L-R. Jeanne, my brother, David, and me. I am wearing a party hat of my own design.


My step-daughter, Dianna, created this Barbie Birthday Card.
Jeanne compiled a History of Fashion from 1944 to 2024 in a book.
My nephew, Jack, painted a card for me.
Not to be outdone, our littlest artist, my great niece, Zephyr, made this card.
With my friend, Jean Stone, of The Idiosyncratic Fashionistas.
Jeanne and I with Inge Brouard Brown, artist, weaver, designer and founder of The Katonah Museum of Art.
The cake from L'Anjou Patisserie Française was both beautiful and yummy. As everyone sang Happy Birthday, I blew out all the candles in one breath.

Thank you to Jeanne, my family and friends, and to
Dianna and Michael who came all the way from
Chicago to celebrate with me.

       A Bientôt!





No comments:

Post a Comment