Saturday, August 10, 2019

Have you missed me? I missed you. Part 1

Hello, Again. 

I just looked at the last time I posted on my blog. It was seven months ago. My life has been taken over by care giving. Richard, who will be 87 next week, has dementia and needs full-time care. I do have help, but not enough. I am in the process of getting more help.

When you have to care for someone, it is exhausting and depressing. My creative life has suffered, as has this blog. You have to fight your way back. I want to do that.

So this post is a celebration of a renewed creative life that I want to kick-start. I had the chance to get away last weekend to a wonderful place called Orient, New York on the tip of the North Fork of Long Island. I was able to do this because Richard's daughter, Dianna, and her husband, Michael, came from Chicago to stay with Richard. They are two terrific people. Am I not lucky to have them in my life?

So it was knowing that R.C. was well cared for, that I got away as a guest of my sister, Jeanne. Joining us were sister Sue, brother David, nephew Jack, and his girlfriend, Sophie. A full house and a happy house.
Getting Ready To Go
First, a hair cut at Fringe, my Lower East Side go-to
salon on Broome Street. This is my stylist, Chenoh Maia,
who gave me the perfect bob.
Next -- nails at Blair, a stylish nail
salon on Orchard Street.
Bordeaux on the toes.
Magenta on the fingers.

We're here!
Deep Roots Farm Stand 
Friday arrival...I'm fresh off the Hampton Jitney.
 Jeanne, Susan and I head to Jeanne's 
favorite new farm stand, Deep Roots.
My bag, from London's Muzungu sisters, 
is taking over my body.
Nice radish.
   It's the honor system, and
 Jeanne is paying for her tomatoes. 
Have you ever not been satisfied with your melon,
and wished you could return it?
The Yard Sale
 It's impossible to pass up a good yard sale.
Susan, who just moved into a mid-century modern house,
contemplated a snack server that might be ideal
for serving mid-century snacks.
Better get a fondue set, Sue.
 Jeanne makes a call on an ornate phone. 
We are all going to a fancy party on Saturday night,
so we consider this belle-of- the-ball frilly frock,
mold included.
A Someday Rental
 But first a word about peaches!
There were no good peaches on the North Fork.
Come clean, farm stands, where did you get these mealy peaches?
 This sweet little house is a rental in Orient.
It's the stuff of dreams.
 A screened-in porch in the back for
morning coffee or evening wine.
The back yard with a view toward the bay.
A girl can dream, can't she?

A Bientot mes amis.
See you soon with Part 2
of the Orient Getaway!


6 comments:

  1. Carol, I'm pleased to see your return, though saddened to hear about Richard. I'm glad you both have such warm support. (It feels a little odd to write this as we don't know each other, but I've been reading your blog for several years so it also feels appropriate.) I wish you well, and I look forward to hearing more about your beautiful Orient visit – nice radish, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brikka, Thank you for your concern and comments. Thank you for being a loyal reader.

      Delete
  2. Hi Carol: So glad I get Femme et Fleur... I remember Richard and you fondly. I was + am a great admirer of both of your work. Richard taught me in (w-a-a-y back) 1974. Then, Summer of '75 I worked in Richards studio in the Norelco building. Terribly sorry Richard is suffering from dementia. And it is so trying on a caregiver. Good for you for being so strong and loving. Keep up the good work, keep sending good vibes, and do take care of yourself. Peace & Love, Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob. It's a treat to hear from you. I think I remember you. Forgive me if I am wrong, but did you have a line of tv's set up for a final crit? That was 45 years ago. Richard is a happy person, and he was drawing up until last year. He has 50 large drawings in our closet that he did since 2001. Pease and love to you too, Bob.

      Delete
  3. I am glad to see you so happy with your family and my best wishes for wind in your sails during a difficult period. AND, the peaches upstate have suddenly gone all mealy from being delicious earlier in the summer. They do get wobbly at the end of the season, but I expected that a bit later.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saba. Thank you and for the report on upstate peaches!

    ReplyDelete