Thursday, January 31, 2019

Advanced Love by Ari Seth Cohen

Keep a-goin'!
It was on my mother's kitchen wall in her condo in Southold, New York. The little, framed picture with the motto keep a-goin'! I, my brother, David, and my sisters, Jeanne and Susan, took care of our mother, Mary, for many years as she went through the stages of Alzheimer's. At the end, we had to move her to a nursing home where she died on my birthday, January 11, 2008.  It took a lot of stamina and patience to take care of her, but we did, especially David, who lived with her and took her for a walk to the "post office" (actually the mailbox a short distance from her home) every day.

Now keep a-goin'! is my motto as I care for my husband, Richard. It's the theme of an essay I wrote for a new book,  Advanced Love, by Ari Seth Cohen. Ari's photographs and text celebrate the beauty and creativity of older couples who he has met in New York City, California and around the world.
Ari is the creator of the blog, Advanced Style. He has two previous books of photographs to his credit and a documentary film. He has enriched the lives of those he has met and made older women and men more visible in the world. Recently, three of the ladies in his documentary were featured in an H&M campaign and seen in a giant image in Times Square.
 "...the art we made, the lives that he, as a teacher, changed. Now it's different. One of us is eighty-five, uses a walker, needs lots of help, and can't remember things. What are you going to do? Make the best of it, confront the daily challenges, renew your spirt. Keep a-goin'.    
from the essay by Carol Markel in Advanced Love 
The cover of Advanced Love, published by Abrams Books.
Richard and I were honored and thrilled to be included in Advanced Love.
 Ari took this photo some years ago in front of the
Donut Plant on Grand Street next to our apartment.
Richard has that rakish look that captivated legions of
women, and especially me.
Ari took the photo on the left last Spring. 
I am wearing a hat and beads of my own design.
The photos on the right were taken at our wedding in 1970.
The book signing party at The Strand Bookstore in their rare book room was held last week. I picked up this silvery sequined jumpsuit before New Year's at H&M. After a recent trip to the Metropolitan Museum of Art to see the exhibit, Jewelry, The Body Transformed, a friend and I stopped at Roundabout, a resale shop on Madison Avenue. That is where I found the Yves St. Laurent necklace that I am wearing. I made the headpiece using a velvet rose from the artificial flower maker, Dulken and Derrick. Two people who worked for me at The Guardian, bought the flower for me back in the 90s and gave it to me in a white florist box as a corsage. The bag is a gift from my sister, Jeanne. I embellished it with the velvet patch that says "Love".
Jeanne accompanied me to the book signing. We dined at Il Cantinori before the party. It had been pouring all day, but the sun came out just in time to walk from the restaurant to The Strand. Jeanne was able to put on her adorable red suede shoes without fear of ruination by rain. She is wearing a delightful dress with silvery polka dots and a fun sleeve treatment. Her dangly white and black earrings are a thrift shop find. We had a great time at the party chatting with a lot of the folks featured in Advanced Love. I would have loved to have had Richard with me as well, but these days he is inclined to want to stay at home, especially at night.
I made these earrings for the book signing, and
I had my ears pierced as well, so I could wear them!
However, my ears would not cooperate, and I could not wear them!
So I am showing you now.

On January 26, Ari was interviewed, along with Barbara Flood and Stanley Dorfman,
on the WNYC program, All of It. I was a wonderful interview and Ari quoted my essay. 
Here is the link to the episode.
A Bientot!


5 comments:

  1. Beautiful and loving tribute of your journey in life together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely and, to use a much-overused word, inspiring. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so beautiful. And you are so glamorous!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Thanks for sharing, nice post! Post really provice useful information!

    Hương Lâm chuyên cung cấp máy photocopy và dịch vụ cho thuê máy photocopy giá rẻ, uy tín TP.HCM với dòng máy photocopy toshiba và dòng máy photocopy ricoh uy tín, giá rẻ."

    ReplyDelete