Friday, October 11, 2013

A Peek in the Studio

Hats Are Heating Up
I have been working in the studio making hats in preparation for an open studio this autumn, date to be announced. I will be revealing a project that has been in the works for months. I call it
Hat Shop in a Box
I worked with a young architect to create the Hat Shop, and it turned out great. It will be the centerpiece of my open studio. In the coming weeks I will show you pictures of the Hat Shop.

Meanwhile, the hats are coming along apace.

I am using buttons on the hats.
I inherited a button collection from my mother-in law.
Here are the reds.

 Felt scraps.
Some greens and yellows.
 Felt samples. The best wool felt is made in Holland.
Work table supplies. I am using autumn leaves on a hat.
Hence the pattern.
The Fauchon box holds little jewels.
The operating table. 
The hat on the wood block is based on
one worn by Erye de Lanux in the picture below.
Erye de Lanux was an American woman who lived in Paris in the 20s and 30s. She was an artist, writer and designer of lacquered furniture. She died at age 102 in New York City. Sometime in the 90s I found her number in the phone book and called her up. I said that I would like to write about her. She said, "you will steal my stories." We made an appointment to meet but when I called to confirm, there was no answer on the line. This picture was in the New York Times recently in a ad for a show of her
work in Paris.
 Tea as a perk-me-up.

I buy the felt squares at Purl in Soho. 
It's a lovely store that has knitting supplies and fabrics.
Vintage metallic threads, a Christmas gift
from my niece, Sarah.
Came in handy to sew a silver button on.
While I work I watch videos on Netflix.
This is a BBC production of Bleak House by Charles Dickens.
Left to right: Ada Clare, played by Carey Mulligan, 
Charlie and Esther Summerson, the heroine of the novel.
 Lady Dedlock has a secret. Esther is her daughter.
Poor Esther contracted Smallpox. But everyone keeps says, the marks will fade.
And indeed they do by the last episode.
 Lady Dedlock reveals the fact that Esther is her daughter.
 A felt doodle on my inspiration board.
 A drawing for a necklace design.
A painting and felt construction
based on a 1930s French magazine cover.

If you wish to read about Erye
you may do so here.

Stay tuned for more on my
Hat Shop in a Box
and Open Studio.

À Bientôt!






3 comments:

  1. Your open studio sounds delicious. Can't wait to see what you create next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog is such an inspiration! Thank you! Christa

    ReplyDelete